Saturday, November 28, 2009

Clipping an agressive dog's hair?

if you had to how would you go about it? he is a small poodle mix



Clipping an agressive dog's hair?

i have one like that.



go to the vet and they will describe tranquilizers that make them sleepy while they are groomed after they are done they will wake up soon after



Clipping an agressive dog's hair?

I'm a groomer, and typically we just put a muzzle on the dog, have someone restrain the head so it can't whip around, and clip it down. Most groomers won't spend time doing anything fancy on a really aggressive dog. I do not suggest owners try to clip their own dogs, even if the dog is well behaved, grooming equipment is very sharp and dogs move a lot. It's very easy and sadly common for owners to seriously injure their dogs trying to groom at home.



Clipping an agressive dog's hair?

Put on a muzzle and tie her- have someone else to hold her down and help you if necessary.



Definately not the owner, however, because s/he is the reason the dog is aggressive.



Clipping an agressive dog's hair?

Slowly get him used to the sound and then feel of the clippers. Gradually try to do a little trimming. You may need a muzzle, so you don't have to worry about being bitten. If you are scared of being bitten you are going to be jumpy and he will be more scared too. If all else fails, consider taking him to a vet that has a groomer so they can sedate him and get the job done correctly. Then you could work on getting him used to the clippers for the next time.



Clipping an agressive dog's hair?

As with Alyssa, I too am a dog groomer. I would recommend that you take your dog to a grooming shop. It will cost you money but will save you a lot of aggravation. I can't tell you how many clients I have that tell me that their dog is impossible and won't let them brush or groom them. Usually I find that once the dog is out of their comfort zone (and they know what buttons to push with their owners) they respond very well. I have groomed many many dogs that I am told may need muzzles, etc and often they don't. They realize that they are not at home and they don't try to "get away with stuff".



Also, as Alyssa said, if we need to, we will muzzle them (but for myself personally that is a last resort). I would rather work with the dog and work through the issues if I can. It may not be the "fancy" clip if the dog is obstinate but it will be neater and better than letting him/her get all matted up.



Good luck



Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
homeowner loans